Tuesday 16 September 2008

The Ways in Which I Consume Music!!

Being a huge music fan, I would obtain it any way I could. But I try to look for the best ways to get what I want to listen to.

Now, before I go any further, I must share my painful music tragedy. In a recent virus scan of my computer, all of the three years worth of music downloads got completely wiped, gone, shinay! So I will talk about my OLD system of obtaining music before that terrible, terrible incident....

If I heard a song I liked, I would just download it for free on Morpheus. I didn't see the point in paying for something when I could get it for free. I would download a lot of music, drag it in to Itunes and put it on my Ipod. Unless that counts, i dont think that I would 'share' my music.

However, if a band or artist I REALLY liked were to bring out a new album, I would make a point to buy that. For example, if one of my favourites, such as U2, Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Bon Jovi, or even a legend returning to release a much anticipated new album, such as Ozzy Osbounrne, Michael Jackson, ect then I would make a point of buying it, as I would want to hear every song, released or not. But for your every day music, I would just download it.

I do however go and see concerts whenever and wherever I can. No matter how fast or far technology develops and music becomes more convenient to listen to, NOTHING can or will ever beat the experience of seeing experiencing a live performance! NOTHING can match that atmosphere and give you as memorable an experience! I would rarely spend money on shirts or posters, although I would buy the occassional live DVD of a band I was a fan of.

I think that artists should most definately recieve money for their music, as it is, of course, their livelyhood. However, from my experience most of the artists I listen to are multiple times richer than me! So I don't see why me, a fairly working/middle class person, should go out of my way to buy music for their benefit, when I can get it myself for free. When there are starving children in the world and homeless people in the streets, I don't see why I should treat rich pop and rock stars as the charity case!

Can everybody be happy when it comes to cosuming music?? Realistically, no. Consumers will want everything either free or as cheap as possible, musicions will want to get paid as much as they can for what they do, and the people on the business side will want to get as much money from the consumers as possible tso as to pay the artists and themselves big fat checks. So it all results in a vicious cycle which resolves in each party trying to cheat the other as much as they can for their own benefit, which will no doubt result in stricter and stricter law and enforcement over the distribution of music as time goes on.

But on the bright side, i don't have to worry about that, because I now have no music left, and can't be bothered downloading or buying everything again, so I am out of this whole mess! YEEEYYYY..... I think?

No comments: